By Kachin Organizations
Kachin, Myanmar, March 7, 2016
On March 1, 2016, 103 leaders of Kachin State from 61 organizations from civil society organizations, political parties, and religion organizations met at Myitkyina, Kachin State to discuss “Natural Resource Governance in Kachin State”. The following statements were agreed collectively at the forum.
1) To institute federalism, self-determination in no time with administration, judiciary, and legislation put in place in Kachin State level, which the central government endorse the state minister elected by the Kachin State Hluttaw.
2) The people of Kachin State, are the ultimate owners of all natural resources above and below the ground,above and beneath the water and in the atmosphere in Kachin State.
3) To constitute the ultimate management authority of natural resource extraction, taxation and management, revenue sharing to Kachin State government.
4) To stop all project operation and natural resource extraction in ethnic areas without conflict resovling politically; which provoke conflicts in ethnic areas.
5) To ensure “Free, Prior, Informed and Consent” with local community before issuing operational permission for any projects.
6) To disclose all information transparently and educate the people, on grievance mechanisms in natural resource extraction, taxation, licensing processes, revenue sharing in respect of “Right to Know” of the people.
7) Accountable and monitor corruption, environmental degradation, armed conflict, social problems occurs due to natural resources.
8) Avoid recommending without acknowledging and analyzing of local context, history and culture regarding revenue sharing mechanism and ratio in Kachin, from local and international researchers and experts.
Tsa Ji: +95-9- 789575026
Daw Khon Ja: +95-9-42528 8899
U La Mawng La Tawng: +95-9-47024963
1. Kachin Cultural and Literacy Committee (Manaw Park)
2. Kachin Development Networking Group (KDNG)
3. Hugawng Farmers‟ Committee
4. Kachin Peace Network (KPN)
5. Kachin Women Peace Network (KWPN)
6. Kachin Women Association Thailand (KWAT)
7. Uak Thon
8. Myusha Social Development Society (MSDS)
9. Independent Church Home Mission
10. Lachid Cultal and Literacy Central Committee
11. Nau shawng Education Network (NSEN)
12. Mung Chying Rawt Jat (MRJ)
13. Town Church – Geis (Myitkyina)
14. Angalican Church (Myitkyina)
15. Sadung Baptist Church
16. Chipwi Baptist Church
17. Roman Catholic Church (Myitkyina)
18. Moe Nyin Baptist Church
19. Myanmar Council of Churches (Myitkyina)
20. Lisu Development Party
21. Kachin State Democracy Party (KSDP)
22. Kachin Democratic Party (KDP)
23. Htingnai Baptist Church Central Committee
24. Myu Sha Zin Lum Hpung
25. Mali Yang Buga Hkalup Hpung
26. Sadung Baptist Church
27. Humanitarian Institute (HI)
28. Htoi Gender
29. Ram Hkye
30. Kashin State Farmers Network
31. Kachin Alliance ( USA)
32. Wunpawng Ninghtoi (WPN)
33. Civil Society Networkfor Peace Kachin (CSNeP Kachin)
34. Loi Yam Bum Community Development Organization ( Moh Nyin)
35. Mingala Foundation ( Wai Maw)
37. KBZ Social Service Group ( Moegaung)
38. Bhamaw Youth Network
39. Zinlum Bhamaw
40. Htoi Shalat Social Service group (Hpakant)
41. 88 New Generation (Moe Nyin)
42. Gender and Development Institute-Myanmar (Kachin State Office)
43. Kachin Development Foundation (USA)
44. Kachin Relief Fund (England )
45. Kachin Women Union 46. Kachin Women Association
47. Hkalup Hpung Madung ( Maisak Wang)
48. Washawng Buga Hkalup Hpung
49. All Kachin Youth Union
50. Kachin Legal Aid Network (Shingnip)
51. KBC Hkrumra Committee
52. Kachin Lawyers Group
53. Pyoe (Myitkyina)
54. Galile IDP camp (Myitkyina)
This press release reflects the views of the authors only and is not affiliated with The Mekong Eye.