The Mekong Eye showcases news from our Mekong Matters Journalism Network. Mekong Matters supports and connects journalists from across the Mekong region who report on environmental and development issues, with a particular focus on regional development projects such as such as dams, mines, roads, oil and gas, ports, economic zones and land concessions. Our members include environment, health, community, business, political and other journalists. The network is supported by Mekong Partnership for the Environment (MPE).
If you would like to share content with The Mekong Eye, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Through Mekong Matters, journalists have access to events and resources, such as:
- Workshops, training and events: MPE holds regional and local events and members will have opportunities to apply and/or attend. MPE will also notify members of relevant external events
- Networking: members link with journalists and experts from across the region to help them find stories, sources and information
- Story funds: members can apply for funds to cover stories related to development project impacts and policies. Download information and the application here
- Small grants: we will have limited small grant opportunities for networks, workshops, innovative media projects, seminars and other projects
- Information: We share members’ news through our News Digest and newsletters, and provide members with news and information on Mekong development issues and journalism opportunities
- News website: The Mekong Eye covers Mekong development news, linked to maps. We are always looking for journalists and media partners who want to share content and broaden their audiences and news sources
- Data: our partner site Open Development Mekong showcases data and maps from across the region which we use to explain our issues
- Reporting resources: we will provide contacts, resources, research, case studies and curriculum useful for your reporting or training
- EJN: members can access resources and opportunities of the Earth Journalism Network, through the account you use to register
- Multiple languages: as much as possible, we will try to make our news, events and resources available in local Mekong-region languages, and will support some translation projects to/from English
The network is open to print, broadcast or social media journalists working in Cambodia, China, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam, including: editors, environment/business/health or other reporters, video journalists, citizen reporters, social media journalists, bloggers etc. who regularly report on Mekong environment and development issues.
The Mekong Matters Story Fund supports journalists to report on the social and environmental costs and benefits of development projects in the Mekong region. These may include dams, mines, industrial development, land concessions, gas and oil, Environmental Impact Assessments or other related issues. MPE may provide up to US$3,000 to cover costs for developing journalistic stories, with priority to original, regional and cross-border angles. All journalists are welcome to apply. For questions or advice on a story idea, contact email@example.com . Download application and guidelines here
To join the network, to subscribe to our Mekong Eye News Digest or for more information, please contact: Adam Hunt, Mekong Eye Editor-in-Chief, MPE Media & Communications Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the Mekong Matters flyer and info about our upcoming websites and content sharing here.
Journalists: join our Mekong Matters facebook group
For more information on MPE, visit here: